Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Assignment Wired

Today I started what I hope will be the first of many projects & contests. Over the past 3 years of photography-related web-surfing, I've amassed a collection of sites that issue weekly assignments/challenges. This always intrigued me, but I never had the courage to just go for it and contribute.

Now, this certainly isn't the same as a classroom environment with a teacher/professor around to challenge you, or classmates to critique you. While I feel both would be great to help with my photography, I think easing my way in with submissions might be a good place to start.

I mean, for one, you're more likely to get no feedback than criticism, right? Not that I particularly care what people "think" of my work, but I feel having someone more skilled in the field to guide me would only be beneficial.

So, for my first assignment titled 'Family', I've chosen my Grandfather. A statuesque man, at a burly 5'1", he turned 98 years old this year. Having served his country in WWII, he has plenty of stories to share. Many of which I've heard numerous times. But that's all well-and-good.

I'll send in my contributions just as soon as they're ready. And perhaps I'll post them here, as well.

Not one of my submissions, but possibly my favorite photo that I've made, to date:


No comments:

Post a Comment