Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dinner Without Schmucks (Unless You Count Me)

Tonight was a great night. My wife cooked an amazing meal - some of my favorite Asian food. In addition, we had my best friend and his wife over to dine with us. We always enjoy entertaining for company - and tonight was excellent, start to finish.

Having just finished my new DIY-softbox, I was anxious to try it out with a few quick test shots of my wife to get some of the basics of the larger box down (25" x 17"). Although a bit stressed from all the prepping for dinner and having a major allergy attack, she tolerated my request to model for me(though I had to promise to delete the photos immediately after making them).

Shortly after our guests arrived, I couldn't help but ask the question - would Danny like to pose for a few shots. Not so reluctant, but hardly excited, he agreed. Getting him into place, and adjusting the light for his added height (about a foot taller than my wife) took a brief moment. I immediately knew that the height of the softbox wasn't tall enough to get a nice downward angle. Of course, using a Sunpak camera tripod to hold my strobe, I didn't expect it to reach to the cieling.






So... it would appear I'm fairly uncomfortable asking a subject to move around and pose, as expected. I can't say I'm surprised. This is one of the things that has kept me away from portrait photography. I've always said I prefer to shoot objects and landscapes. Not so much because they interest me, but more because I could shoot without worry of dealing with another human. There. I said it. I'm anti-social. Great trait for a photographer.

But I'm also willing to learn to change. So, take that.

The pics were awful. At 1/16th power, too dark. At 1/4 power, too bright. No matter if the softbox location was closer to the subject or farther away. f/8 @ 125th the whole way. Then again, I only took about 7 or 8 photos before it was obvious my close friend was a little uncomfortable and I stopped.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll find some time to watch the Kelby Training video titled "There Are No Bad Originals", by Dan Margulis. Of course I have no idea what this video is about, but an educated guess based on the name is a flimsy enough excuse to watch the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment