Tuesday, August 30, 2011

B&H Booty!

Well, with this engagement photo project swiftly in motion, I decided it was high time I acquired the items I would need to make this shoot as excellent for my friends as possible. So, on our way back from upstate New York, we stopped off at B&H in the city to pickup some gear.

I find that, as I hear most starting photographers do, I tend to shoot in landscape mode more. It's just easier on the hand. Having to contort in an odd fashion to shoot in portrait can get to you after a while. So first on the list was an official Canon 5D mkII grip (BG-E6) & extra battery (LP-E6). I had read some poor reviews of some 3rd party batteries - what with the melting and all. So I decided to go official. Additionally, it comes with a battery magazine that takes AA's. So in a pinch, I can swap out the 2 rechargeable ones for off-the-shelf batteries.

The only other item on my immediate list was a Lastolite 2x4 30" 4-in-1 reflector kit (LAR30K). As they seem to be pretty invaluable, the $43 bucks it cost wasn't going to break the bank. There was a house brand Impact kit, a 5-in-1 @ 42"... but it was a single hoop with reversible zipper-reflection (1 side silver, 1 side gold). This kit is a little smaller, but comes with 2 separate hoops, a reflector and a diffuser.

While perusing their fine establishment, the true nature of a brick & mortar store comes into play. I eyeballed a $19.99 Impact brand light stand (6' - IMLS6B). Not sturdy. Low quality. Heavy. But it'll do the job for little ol' me right now. And down the road, I can upgrade. Of course not knowing anything, the salesman pointed out that if I was mounting a flash to this and desired articulation of the angular-style, I would need a shoe mount adapter (PHSMA). Finally, while looking over the adapter I noticed a "clamp-hole". When I inquired about it he said it was for an umbrella. Eureka! I had already "built" 2 soft boxes at home, this could be perfect! Well, when he told me the reversible umbrella was only $12 bucks (IMU32BW), how could I resist. For 53 bucks I got everything I needed for high quality (well, higher than I do now) portrait shots!

Overall, a superb day. Happy to have picked up some essentials for a moderate price. And the salesman was excellent. I don't often go out of my way to provide feedback, but I absolutely will be filling out a survey for this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment