Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Productive Night

Spent a bit of time photographing my wife, tonight. As I get more and more interested in learning about photography I find myself constantly thinking about how I would properly light the scene. I feel like throwing myself into the subject matter head first helps cram as much as I can into my tiny brain. However, there is no substitution for doing.

Having never used my strobe off camera before, today was the first opportunity I've had to attempt a professional looking portrait. Kind enough to let me flash her, repeatedly, she sat patiently while I adjusted my single light. Willing to go off and put on some makeup while I built a quick and dirty DIY soft box, she came back and sat again.

The lesson today? I've got a long way to go if I'm going to make this happen. Lucky for me, I've got some time. Tonight's pictures were a very crude starting point. I have zero ability to actually look at the photos and determine where changes need to be made. Perhaps with time, and lots of practice.

August 28th, 2008 was when I got my first DSLR. Here I am just shy of 3 years later and I feel like I've finally got the basics of my camera down tight. I can correct an exposure relatively quickly and do all those creative things I wanted to with depth of field, motion blur, etc. So the somewhat obvious next step for me is lighting. I'm excited to see just how far I am able to go on a limited budget, few subjects, and no input from professionals on progress. I never had an appreciation for art (still don't, really), but with time, if I can't make it....maybe I'll at least be able to fake it.

No comments:

Post a Comment