Monday, August 29, 2011

Welcome Suprise

Got an excellent phone call last night from my best friend, Danny. The topic of conversation was whether or not I would be interested in shooting him and his fiancee/wife's engagement photographs. They were married a few months back in NYC - a quick official service to make everything legal. The actual ceremony is this coming November down in Disney, Florida. However I did, at their request, bring my camera with me to the event and photographed the proceedings. They seemed happy with the results, although I tend to be very critical about my work and had a number issues.

I was honored to have been asked. But had to think seriously about it for a few moments. In particular, I don't know if I would be comfortable with the possibility of ruining their pictures. I told him straight out that I was not the best with portraiture, as I have zero ability to correctly direct people on how to act/behave/stand in the frame. The few times I've shot people I feel like I'm just taking snapshots.

All that aside, they were still interested in having me do this for them. How could I say no? A chance to practice, and the thought of possibly getting some great shots of my best friend and his wife.

I'm gonna finish up (and review) this last book on composition, and then quickly move into a few books on portraiture and wedding photography. Perhaps pickup a few items to help ensure the shoot goes as planned... a Lastolite diffuser, stand, Justin clamp.... I'm sure I can shop for enough to make this work!

No comments:

Post a Comment