Wednesday, October 5, 2011

B&H Seminar

While on the Worldwide Photo Walk this past Sunday, the leader of our group mentioned that B&H has an "Event Space" where they host numerous free seminars. This was quite a shock to me as I frequent their website and store rather often, and have never heard of this.

Sure enough, after a single Google search, I found their site:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/EventSpace.jsp

This is quite extraordinary, as the classes offered are rather diverse and well rounded. Topics vary in range from composition, portrait photography, equipment usage, software and more!

I was very grateful to have learned about this offering, and immediately signed up for a lecture, of sorts, on composition. The event was led by photographer David Brommer. And interestingly enough, I had read a chapter in a book by him not more than a month ago on the same topic!

The course followed the book chapter rather closely and talked of studium and punctum. This is described by Brommer as most every photo that is "ok" - classified as studium. Opposite of that is punctum. When you make an image works - that you look at and know you've got something special on your hands. He does quite a better job of detailing each, in the book. I highly recommend reading it, as the book is excellent start to finish.

Needless to say I will be signing up for many more of these event space seminars. I enjoy learning more and especially enjoy meeting other photographers. This is a unique chance to do both!

No comments:

Post a Comment