Thursday, October 6, 2011

Meetup!

I recently joined a NYC photo "meetup". A large group of people that routinely participate in photo walks and other photographic opportunities. I was very excited to attend my first gathering. Originally some 130 people had stated they would be joining this particular event. Upon speaking with some of the fellow attendees, it turns out usually about half the people ever show up.

While I did only converse with two other people there, we had an excellent time. Even exchanged some info with one another. I was quite surprised to find out I wasn't the only tech there, either! Both of these gentleman are currently employed in IT as well.

                                      1/15 @ f/3.50                                      1/25 @ f/8.0
                                     5 seconds @ f/10                               5 seconds @ f/18

The event was held on a pier in Long Island City - and our subject was the always beautiful NYC skyline, just at sunset. The magic hour, as it's called. Lots of tripods, long exposures and remotes. It was quite excellent to see all manner of camera. From cellphones, P&S's as well as an array of DSLR's. I think I even caught glimpse of a Leica!

I had an excellent time, and strongly urge all of those in any community to search online for group outings and organized photo walks. I felt very safe in such a large group, and with many people sporting more expensive equipment than mine, much more secure! Plus, the added advantage of being able to talk with fellow photographers was a pure pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment