Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Family Time vs Photo Time

Yesterday, my wife and I went for a walk in the park. Always an enjoyable time, but with the addition of our new dog, even more so. The plan was originally to find a nice open area, lots of grass & sunny, for us to sit and relax for a while. However, the particular entrance to the park that we chose was more lakeside trails with trees and underbrush.

Of course it goes without saying that I brought my trusty camera along for the trip. And while wandering around the water & trails my mind was racing for possible shots to make. My constant mental-framing of landscapes, and visual investigation into quality of light all bubbled to the surface for this excursion.



Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, right? I mean, as a photographer you would think that would be the norm - searching for the scene. But as often happens, I noticed my wife and Hiro were further on ahead during our walk, while I was still lagging behind trying to get a correct exposure TTL. Or to frame up a shot correctly in the viewfinder.

Even with setting adjustments, it took drastic 
measures to get this shot exposed correctly

Having to deal with this for a little over 3 years now, my wife is rather used to this. In fact, she lovingly encourages my photography. And certainly with the addition of our new pup, she isn't quite as lonely as she might otherwise be. But the question begs to be asked: for how long?

How long before I'm able to make the exposure quickly enough?
How long until I'm willing to pass a shot I've previously made?
How long from now will I say "the light isn't right", without testing the shot first?
How long will I continue to miss spending time with my family because I'm too busy being technical?

I love my family. I love photography. Balancing time has to be done correctly, for everyone's sake. And getting to my end goal surely must happen faster to allow for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment