Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#occupywallst

Spent the better part of this morning in NYC at the #occupywallst protest. I've never photographed a march or protest before, so I was very excited to attempt it.

Started what I hope is the first of many early morning rises. Was up and out by 7am. I arrived on site while most of the protestors were still sleeping. Snagged a few shots I was very happy with of the calm before the 'light rain'. Many of their signs were on display right in front of the camp.

1/160 @ f/8.0

All in all it was a fairly well organized event, with a central station for laptops with power provided. A food and medical section existed, as well as supplies. I was happy to see other photographers still taking an interest in the event, already into day 5. Of course, I'm a gear head, so I assume I was more interested in starting at their equipment and pretty press passes.

I opted to shoot in bracketed mode at +1/-1, to ensure proper exposure. I also stayed full manual, as I often criticize the need for shutter or aperture priority mode. However, while in the thick of it I did start to consider shutter priority. Immediately pondering what issues I might have run into... such as the spot meter adjusting for a black shirt on a bright white background. The last thing I wanted was to ruin an exposure due to uncertainty. I routinely get about ~580 shots on my 16GB card. While I did fill the card, there are 3 exposures of each photo. I so really made just shy of 200 pictures.

Today was a great challenge. I was finally putting to use much of what I have learned. And while the final product may not end up on the front page of a newspaper or website, I can rest easy knowing my next set of photos will be better.

                                                          1/250 @ f/10                                          1/250 @ f/6.30

No comments:

Post a Comment