Monday, September 19, 2011

"Unlearn What You Have Learned"

Today was quite entertaining. Started with the usual Monday activities - work. Spent the day looking forward to a nice dinner with an old work colleague I've kept in touch with since he left the company. He and his wife invited us over for a meal. And while getting the timing just right took a while, we finally got it together.

We got to meet the beautiful baby Aria for the first time, as well! I brought my 50mm with me, knowing that it might be a bit much to use the flash in the apartment. Even though the ISO was set higher than I normally like (640) I was able to reduce quite a bit of noise in post.


Baby Aria - 1/125 @ f/1.40

Baby photography what it is, it takes some time to get just the right reaction. I kept my aperture wide open at 1.4 to ensure as much light as possible early on, but actually did end up increasing the ISO to brighten some of the later shots. This was really the only one I was happy with - as she was enjoying my performance of the sound "ooooo".

While reading my news feeds this evening, I did happen to read a <A HREF="http://goo.gl/Y1d0u" TARGET=NEW>DPS article</A> about the sharpness of a 50mm @ wide open versus a few stops down. Finding the so-called "sweet spot" for sharpness of a lens.

While I was happy with the depth of field in most of the shots from the night, I will be running some of my own tests to see if I can discern the differences between each f-stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment