Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Outdoor Light Testing

Spent a few minutes with my wife yesterday, outside her parents house, playing with ambient light.

The Sun was completely covered by some thick clouds, giving us a very soft light to work with.
We shot a bit with the Sun side lighting her, no flash, no reflector.

Then I turned on the flash to fill in the dark parts of her face. The lighting improved dramatically with the fill flash used in a portrait situation. However, it still presented an unflattering appearance as mentioned in my post How to Shoot in Natural Light. Perhaps I'll review the video prior to departing for NYC & the Joe McNally exhibition @ Columbus Circle, where I will shoot some more outdoor w/ fill-flash shots.

I then removed the flash and added a gold reflector to the scene. She held the reflector under her face a bit, trying not to blind herself in the process. The gold gave her face an amazing warm glow, as pictured below.





All in all I was very pleased with the way I was able to use the knowledge I learned from all the books and videos. I do need to continue with this through the entire month of September, though. In preparation for the engagement photo shoot in October, I've got some ground to cover before I'm anywhere near ready for it. But, pushing myself to the limits - I think I can accomplish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment