Monday, September 26, 2011

Timing is Everything

Had two excellent conversations today - one with my mother, another later with my wife. The conversations each briefly touched on my photographs of the #occupywallst protests on Wednesday of last week. And during the latter of the two interactions I came to the realization that yes, while I was making photographs for the practice, the experience and the sheer enjoyment I get out of it... the goal was to get "the shot".

Even though I acknowledge that my driving purpose has been to "master" this art form, I do feel that getting that shot is the desired result with each shutter release. I've read in numerous places that it takes about 10,000 hours to master a field. So whenever I pick up my camera, I feel as if I'm making headway towards that desired end-game.

As such, whenever I undertake any photographic trial, my primary goal is to learn from it. But in the back of my mind I feel as if perhaps I might make that one photo that's "it". The one I can post online and will be re-shared, and re-tweeted. The one that will lend some credibility to this hobby as a possible career choice.

Throughout this endeavor I'm constantly asking myself "does this interest me". I still don't know what particular specialization I'm most capable of. Photo-Journalism? Portraiture? Still life & fine art? Not having a background in the arts (in fact, up until a few months ago I could honestly say I loath the general concept of "art") I don't know which direction I'm headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment