Thursday, September 1, 2011

It's Funny.

A few friends are going to perform at an "open-mic" type of night at a comedy club in the east Village. Going to be interesting to see them on stage. Everyone knows (hopefully) how difficult it is to get up on stage in front of people. Then to have to make them laugh on top of that... also difficult.

Add onto that the fact that the people in the crowd are you friends doesn't help. And then to think that you'll be both filmed and photographed? I don't think I could get up there and do it.

In any event, it shall be a lighting challenge. I'm already stocked with my 50mm 1.4 & new grip. I'll be dabbling a bit in using higher-ISO and post-production noise reduction, as well as toying around with using AEB to help ensure accurate shots. I've previously bracketed outdoors, where highlights and shadows can often be problematic. I don't foresee a need to leave it on indoors however, unless I just set a single bracket at EV + 1. I wonder if I can set a single AEB point.... I'll have to check into that!

Previous experiences with higher-ISO has been less then stellar. Now granted, that was on a DIGIC-III with my Rebel XTi. But since then I've shy'ed away from anything above 400. Even though my 50D could handle higher ISO numbers I always sought to keep the pictures as clean as possible. After watching a Kelby Training video with Jay Maisel, who speaks about keeping his ISO at 1600 for outdoor shots, I've gotten a bit more comfortable with the idea.

Now from what I've encountered, a higher ISO outdoors will produce much less noise than an indoor shot - perhaps the darker colors found in shadows lead to more visible noise than the white and bright colors do. I hope to get in about an hour on the street before heading into the club. I'll definitely test this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment