Friday, September 23, 2011

The Lost Art of Reading

Once upon a time, about a month ago, I was reading photography book after photography book. Then, nothing of interest happened, and I stopped.

Perhaps it was the assignments? At the end of a few "learning composition" books, I was presented with challenges to go and shoot. Often times, these challenges were not relegated to the comfort of my home. This is problematic as I do enjoy a good romp around town, but often times I read towards the end of the day. Mostly after work. And always when I am quite ready to stay in, at home.

It seems illogical to me to continue reading the next chapter if I've not completed the previous homework. So, I guess I stopped. I should rather read two book concurrently - one with and one without assignments. This was I can always fallback on another until I've had time to complete the first. This is my motivational post to myself. I shall start reading & completing chapters with photographs.

One of the exercises was to photograph rocks. Not particularly interesting rocks, but rocks that have unique relationships with other visual elements around them. I took this as a play on lighting, as it is the strongest compositional element I've been paying attention to. Rather, the author of the book challenges us to hunt down and 'shoot' a scene that captures our eye.

This seemed quite silly at first, but at my in-law's house I quickly found just such a scene that piqued my curiosity.

1/320 @ f/5.60

This was proof positive to me that there might be something to say about this "learning" everyone's been talking about...

No comments:

Post a Comment